Dear Greenwich House Community,
It has been truly heartbreaking to witness the pain and suffering caused by the recent acts of terrorism and violence carried out by Hamas against Israel. I share in the deep grief, shock, and anger that we all feel, and I hope you join me in denouncing these acts of terror and the hatred that fuels them. My thoughts go out to all those affected by these events, and we extend our heartfelt condolences to those who have experienced loss or hardship, and all those who will in the days and weeks to come.
Beyond our reflections and grief around these world events, our top priority is the safety and well-being of our community members. We continue to actively monitor threats as reported by our government partners and law enforcement agencies, as situations evolve. Additionally, we encourage everyone to stay informed through official channels and follow any guidance provided by local authorities. We will keep you informed in the event of any threats against Greenwich House schools, centers, or clinics.
Here are some valuable resources recommended by the Greenwich House Center for Resiliency and Wellness for individuals, as well as parents facing the challenge of discussing these difficult issues with their children:
- Talking to Kids After Trauma – SAMHSA
- A Parent’s Guide for Speaking with Your Children about Conflict and War – UNICEF
- How to Talk to Kids about Violence, Crime and War – Common Sense Media
- How to Talk to Children about the Violence in Israel and Gaza – NPR
- Community Conversation about Community Violence – Sesame Workshop
- Talking to Children about War – National Children Traumatic Stress Network
- Coping After Disaster – American Psychiatry Association
- A Guide for Older Adults – New York State Office of Mental Health
- Information for Adults, Children and Families – New York State Office of Mental Health
- Mental Health Resources During an Emergency – New York State Office of Mental Health
Let’s stand together as a community, united in our support for peace, compassion, unity, and hope.
Darren Bloch, CEO and Executive Director